A healthy city is a happy city. How we care, or fail to care, for the most vulnerable among us directly impacts the healthcare available for the rest of us.
This week, one of the big agenda items is a conversation with Dr. Chris Sikora, the Chief Medical Officer of Health for Edmonton. He's joining our Community Public Services Committee on Tuesday morning at 0930AM. I invite you to attend, speak, watch online, or submit questions you would like me to ask. REGISTER: https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings.com/Meeting.aspx?Id=f0e0c375-a3fd-4f3c-a92f-1d63fc85517d&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English
Some of the general topics I would like covered are:
- What are the negative impacts of the housing system on the broader health care system? (e.g. emergency wait room times)
- What are we doing to prevent medical discharge into homelessness?
- How are deaths or injuries to those with no fixed address tracked? How are deaths reported?
- How are amputations or other traumas tracked and reported to the public?
- How are Emergency rooms coping? Including the Children's hospital?
- How do young people under 18 get supported with health care needs?
- How many folks in Edmonton have serious medical conditions that are in need but are houseless (diabetes, cancer, other)?
- How are unhoused pregnancies supported?
- How are burn treatments handled when someone can't be safely discharged for care?
- What is the wait time for addiction recovery beds? How many recovery beds are available?
- What is the plan for discharge after completing recovery treatment? Back onto the street or is there a bridge program?
Please let me know if you have other suggestions.
City Hall E-News February 5th, 2023
- WATCH: "Building Hope: Substance Use in the Trades" - New Film added to our Feb 16th event
- READ: Are bigger and heavier vehicles a threat to public safety?
- READ: Living Local with local recreation centres
- ADOPT: A heritage chicken and receive eggs for a year
- READ: Mansion Tax: Taxing the 4800 homes over $1,000,000 an extra $60/month would raise an additional $5.3Million
- READ: "With the UCP's help, Edmonton's police chief is out to undermine the mayor"
- CITY PROVOCATIONS from around the internet
- You can read last week's newsletter here: michaeljanz.ca/updates