Michael Janz lives to promote education, literacy and community. On October 21st, 2013 he was re-elected for the 2013-2017 term. He is serving as the Chair of the Edmonton Public School Board and previously served as board Vice-Chair. In November 2013 he was elected Vice-President of the Alberta School Boards’ Association.
Michael is passionate about the importance of public education and is an advocate for life-long learning. He completed his Masters in Education Policy Studies at the University of Alberta and is very proud of his Bachelor of Arts in History (University of Alberta 2008). While at University he served as President of the University of Alberta Students’ Union (2007-2008) and two years on the University of Alberta Board of Governors (2007-2009).
In November 2012, Michael was honoured with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for community service and was selected as one of Edmonton’s “Top 40 Under 40.”
Michael is passionate about community. Until September 2012, Michael was employed as the Marketing Director for the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues.
Michael enjoys strong espresso, cycling the river valley, and curling up with a great book. He lives within Ward F.
To follow Michael on twitter visit www.twitter.com/michaeljanz
Michael’s experience includes:
- Chair and Vice-Chair for the Edmonton Public School Board
- EPSB Conference Chair
- EPSB Audit Committee Chair
- EPSB Policy Committee Chair
- Marketing Director for the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues
- Researcher for the Public School Boards’ Association of Alberta
- President of the University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Member of the University of Alberta Board of Governors
- Trustee of the Edmonton Public Library Board
- Director of the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society Board
- Faculty of Arts Representative on the University of Alberta Alumni Association
- Board Member of the Alberta Library Trustees Association