Michael Janz lives to promote education, literacy and community. He was first elected October 2010 and on October 21st, 2013 he was re-elected for the 2013-2017 term. He serves as EPSB Board Chair and previously served as Board Vice-Chair.
Michael is passionate about the importance of public education and is an advocate for life-long learning. He completed his Masters in Education Policy Studies at the University of Alberta and is very proud of his Bachelor of Arts in History (University of Alberta 2008). While at University he served as President of the University of Alberta Students’ Union (2007-2008) and two years on the University of Alberta Board of Governors (2007-2009).
Michael is passionate about libraries and literacy. He served for six years as a Trustee on the Edmonton Public Library Board and as a past-representative to the Alberta Library Trustees Association. In November 2013 he was elected Vice-President of the Alberta School Boards’ Association.
In November 2012, Michael was honoured with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for community service and was selected as one of Avenue Magazine “Top 40 Under 40.” In 2016 Michael was voted Edmonton’s Best School Trustee.
Outside of the school board Michael works for Boys and Girls Club Big Brothers Big Sisters Edmonton and has had numerous other roles including consulting for the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services at the University of Alberta and Marketing Director for the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues.
Michael enjoys strong espresso, cycling the river valley, and curling up with a great book. He lives within Ward F in Southwest Edmonton.
To follow Michael on twitter visit www.twitter.com/michaeljanz
Michael’s experience includes:
- Chair and Vice-Chair for the Edmonton Public School Board
- EPSB Conference Chair
- EPSB Audit Committee Chair
- EPSB Policy Committee Chair
- Vice-President Alberta School Boards’ Association
- Marketing Director for the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues
- Researcher for the Public School Boards’ Association of Alberta
- Researcher for the Edmonton Queer History Project
- President of the University of Alberta Students’ Union
- Member of the University of Alberta Board of Governors
- Trustee of the Edmonton Public Library Board
- Director of the Edmonton Bicycle Commuters Society Board
- Faculty of Arts Representative on the University of Alberta Alumni Association
- Board Member of the Alberta Library Trustees Association