Michael has championed:
- New school construction, including elementary, junior high and high schools.
- Financial literacy and post-secondary transitions.
- Improving academic achievement and high school completion rates.
- Focusing education spending on the classroom in support of teachers and school staff.
- Supporting student, staff, and family health and wellness.
- A voice for vulnerable students and families
Michael is proud of our focus on students:
- Our high school graduation rate has improved from 68% to 80% New school construction, including elementary, junior high and high schools.
- Edmonton Public students are receiving increased support in Financial literacy and post-secondary transitions through our career pathways projects
- Ensured that district surpluses benefitted students through initiatives such as the Equity Fund, technology upgrades for schools, and student mental health initiatives
- We opened three new schools in the 2016-2017 year and are opening eleven more in 2017-2018.
- We have demonstrated a focus on education spending on the classroom in support of teachers and school staff.
- Michael has personally facilitated meetings with health and wellness and active transportation leaders to increase the number of students that can choose to walk or bike to school and improve student health and wellness
- More students feel safe and welcomed in our district through activities we have taken in support of vulnerable students.
- Board initiatives around creating a student trustee and student senate have increased student engagement in decision making
- More partnerships such as those with Edmonton Public Library are ensuring that students receive library cards and literacy is a focus outside of school hours
Do you have questions for Michael about his vision or values?
Michael will be responding to questions raised in his education survey on this page, but please send him your questions at email@example.com
He will also be posting "Frequently Asked Questions" at www.michaeljanz.ca/faq